Sunday, February 26, 2017

Book Haul



February is ending and I decided to top off my February with a book haul. All four of these books have been on both my TBR list and my mind for quite some time, so I’m ecstatic to finally add them to my shelves. Let me know if you spot any favorites or any books that you’ve been considering picking up!


Title: The Colossus and Other Poems
Author: Sylvia Plath
Genre: Poetry; Classics; Fiction
Goodreads Rating: 4.2/ 5 stars
Pages: 84 (Paperback)
Publisher: Vintage Books
Published: May 19, 1998 (Original Publication: 1960)

Summary: With this startling, exhilarating book of poems, which was first published in 1960, Sylvia Plath burst into literature with spectacular force. In such classics, as "The Beekeeper's Daughter," "The Disquieting Muses," "I Want, I Want," and "Full Fathom Five," she writes about sows and skeletons, fathers and suicides, about the noisy imperatives of life and the chilly hunger for death. Graceful in their craftsmanship, wonderfully original in their imagery, and presenting layer after layer of meaning, the forty poems in The Colossus are early artifacts of genius that still possess the power to move, delight, and shock.

Hate is a strong word, but it does properly convey how much I detest two questions in particular, in regards to reading. Who is your favorite author? What is your favorite book? I feel as though I never have a consistent answer for either one of those questions. Which isn't all that surprising seeing as though in the moment, my favorite author, genre, and book are largely dependent upon my mood. Of course, I have an archive of all-time favorite authors and books, but the favorites that I gravitate towards daily are always subject to change. However, Plath will forever be on my mind and have a place in my heart. Both her as an individual and her writing, have moved me in ways that only great literature can. Not only has she moved me, but she has inspired me time and time again, as well as contributed to the individual and the writer that I have become and am continuing to become.

This past week I wrote up an explication on Sylvia Plath's 1962 poem, "Lady Lazarus", and then presented said explication in my Intro to Literature class. The experience of analyzing and writing about one of my favorite poems by Plath, made me nostalgic and hungry for more of her writing. The Colossus and Other Poems is without a doubt one of my top most anticipated reads to tackle this year.


Title: The Happiness Project: Or, Why I spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
Author: Gretchen Rubin
Genre: Nonfiction; Self-help; Autobiography; Memoir
Goodreads Rating: 3.57/ 5 stars
Pages: 352 (Paperback)
Publisher: HarperCollins
Published: December 29, 2009

Summary: Gretchen Rubin had an epiphany one rainy afternoon in the unlikeliest of places: a city bus. “The days are long, but the years are short,” she realized. “Time is passing, and I’m not focusing enough on the things that really matter.” In that moment, she decided to dedicate a year to her happiness project.

In this lively and compelling account, Rubin chronicles her adventures during the twelve months she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific research, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier. Among other things, she found that novelty and challenge are powerful sources of happiness; that money can help buy happiness, when spent wisely; that outer order contributes to inner calm; and that the very smallest of changes can make the biggest difference.

Nonfiction and I tend to not see eye to eye. Reading works of nonfiction often leaves me feeling underwhelmed, frustrated, or even bored. I’ve just never been a huge fan of the technical/mechanical style of writing that many nonfiction authors seem to gravitate towards. However, I do enjoy nonfiction works such as published essays/letters or journals from some of my favorite authors.
Lately, I’ve been intensely proactive about doing all that I can to continue to work towards becoming the best possible version of myself. This endeavor has even extended to finding self-help and self-growth books that could potentially leave me inspired, or open new doors for me, or reveal new paths to take, or supply me with a new healthier mindset. I figured that the coming springtime would be best welcomed with some new self-help and self-growth material.

Title: The Handmaid's Tale
Author: Margaret Atwood
Genre: Fiction; Classics; Science Fiction; Dystopia; Feminism
Goodreads Rating: 4.03/ 5 stars
Pages: 311 (Paperback)
Publisher: Anchor Books
Published: March 16, 1998 (Originally publication: 1986)

Summary: Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...

Margaret Atwood is an author that I’ve had my eye on for quite some time, but I wasn’t sure which novel I should pick up by her. Atwood has quite a few published novels and stellar high praise for her writing and that combination can make selecting your introduction to said author, intimidating. But, after the mess of politics and social issues in 2016 and the current pitiful political climate in 2017 (all over the world), The Handmaid’s Tale began to pop up in my literary newsfeeds as THE book that everyone, particularly women, should make a point to read this year.
I can’t pass up an opportunity to experience a new author and to also continue to educate myself on social issues, and to add fuel to my hope for a better now and a better future (for all).

Title: Swamplandia!
Author: Karen Russell
Genre: Fiction; Magical Realism; Contemporary; Fantasy
Goodreads Rating: 3.21/ 5 stars
Pages: 400 (Paperback)
Publisher: Vintage Books
Published: July 26, 2011 (Originally publication: January 1, 2011)

Summary: The Bigtree alligator wrestling dynasty is in decline--think Buddenbrooks set in the Florida Everglades--and Swamplandia!, their island home and gator-wrestling theme park, is swiftly being encroached upon by a sophisticated competitor known as the "World of Darkness."

Ava, a resourceful but terrified twelve-year-old, must manage seventy gators and the vast, inscrutable landscape of her own grief. Her mother, Swamplandia!’s legendary headliner, has just died; her sister is having an affair with a ghost called the Dredgeman; her brother has secretly defected to the World of Darkness in a last-ditch effort to keep their sinking family afloat; and her father, Chief Bigtree, is AWOL. To save her family, Ava must journey on her own to a perilous part of the swamp called the "Underworld," a harrowing odyssey from which she emerges a true heroine.

Karen Russell was recommended to me by a friend and trusted fellow reader, about a year ago, and I’m just now getting around to her. I’m a sucker for well written Magical Realism novels so I’m hoping that Russell and I end up becoming fast friends. I’m excited to dive into her work, but I’m not certain on whether I’ll pick up Swamplandia! in spring or if I’ll save it for summer. As of right now, I’m leaning more towards summer but we’ll see!

Until next time! Thank you for stopping by! And if you have yet to do so, follow me here on my blog via email subscription to be able to stay informed on when new posts are uploaded.
My social media:
- Anisa




















No comments:

Post a Comment