Monday, May 23, 2016

Romeo and Juliet ~ William Shakespeare Review!




Summary: In Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare creates a world of violence and generational conflict in which two young people fall in love and die because of that love. The story is rather extraordinary in that the normal problems faced by young lovers are here so very large. It is not simply that the families of Romeo and Juliet disapprove of the lover's affection for each other; rather, the Montagues and the Capulets are on opposite sides in a blood feud and are trying to kill each other on the streets of Verona. Every time a member of one of the two families dies in the fight, his relatives demand the blood of his killer. Because of the feud, if Romeo is discovered with Juliet by her family, he will be killed. Once Romeo is banished, the only way that Juliet can avoid being married to someone else is to take a potion that apparently kills her, so that she is burried with the bodies of her slain relatives. In this violent, death-filled world, the movement of the story from love at first sight to the union of the lovers in death seems almost inevitable.



Pages: 376
Goodreads Rating: 3.73/ 5 stars
Genre: Classics, Drama, Fiction, Literature, Plays, Poetry, Romance, Shakespeare,


"Is love a tender thing? It is too rough,
Too rude, too boisterous, and it pricks like thorn."
~ Romeo


It's been quite a while since I've read Shakespeare, and boy oh boy am I glad that I remedied that situation. Shakespeare's writing is so beautiful: flows wonderfully, detailed and flowery language, and the sense of humor. Oh, the humor. Sex jokes all around, done tastefully and not so tastefully but nevertheless are always laughable and enjoyable.


"These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which, as they kiss, consume. The sweetest honey
Is loathsome in his own deliciousness
And, in the taste, confounds the appetite.
Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so;
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
~ Friar Laurence


Going into reading Romeo and Juliet I wasn't expecting to be floored, or to come away with so many new favorite quotes, or to even have picked up a few tidbits of wisdom, but I did. I'm still caught up in the beauty of Shakespeare's wording. The flowery descriptions, the dialogue, the tension, the heated comedy, it all flowed so well. And aside from the silly dramatics, much of the characters' personalities and situations felt incredibly real. I felt as though I was there, watching it all unfold. I was drawn in and ate it up! It was difficult to put down and I almost somewhat upset at how quickly I devoured the tale, because I'm already itching for a reread.



"If love be blind, love cannot hit the mark."
~ Mercutio


Shakespeare has me convinced that it's high time to finally be open to the fact that one should opt to fall in love and to not go in search for love. Let love knock you down and leave you breathless. Allow love to come as a surprise. Open your heart, your mind, and your soul to the possibility of soul mates. There's something quite magical about Shakespeare's writing. Magical, beautifully written, comedic, and excellent word play. I highly recommend this for all of my fellow language lovers, comedy, well done/thorough romance. If you're looking for something to whisk you away and to leave you wanting romance, bawdy humor, and more Middle English in your life, I recommend giving Romeo and Juliet a try. My Goodreads rating: 4.5/ 5 stars.


Until next time! Thank you for stopping by! And if you have yet to do so, follow me here on my blog via email subscription to be able to stay informed on when new posts are uploaded!


- Anisa





No comments:

Post a Comment